To get the latest version of Hookpad, relaunch your browser or do a hard reload of the app webpage (shift + refresh button) . This is since the 2.8.0 release where Hookpad became a progressive web app that gets cached for offline use.
- Fixing chord labels sometimes incorrectly sizing and positioning left of center on Safari and iOS Safari.
- Fixed a bug causing song metrics to not load when loading other assets
Quarter note and eighth note triplets are now supported in Hookpad. To make a triplet, select a half or quarter note and click on the “make triplet” button in the note GUI. Triplets must exist on a triplet grid, so this option will be greyed out for notes with invalid durations or invalid start beats. Currently you cannot record to or import MIDI to a triplet grid.
Song Metrics in Hookpad
Song metrics are now available! Compare how your song measures up to the average song in the Theorytab database.
You can now transpose Hookpad playback to be transposed relative to the displayed notes and chords. This is helpful for those of you who play transposing instruments (clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, horn, etc) and would like to have Hookpad playback align with your instrument.
- Fixing bug causing drums not to play when a pickup measure is added.
- Fixing bug causing lyrics in sheet music exports to appear in the wrong places in certain situations.
- Fixing bug causing guitar tabs to not export.
- Fixing bug causing sheet music export to fail when certain combination of lead instruments are used.
- Magic chord now displays suggestions in Harmonic Minor and Phrygian Dominant scales.
- Adding option to export sheet music in landscape orientation
- Fixing bug causing songs with the old
Clean Electric Lead Sustaininstrument to fail in some cases.
- Fixed left border on note staff
- Fixed bug causing white screen crash on drag-select when mouse-up occurs outside of the score and the cursor snap grid is set to 1/4 beat or beat.
Under The Hood
- Added support for showMeasureLines configuration parameter. Used in Book One.
- Adding an input latency adjustment to control the placement of notes when recording.
- Fixing bug introduced in 2.19.6 causing sheet music export with “smart” rhythms to be dropping sixteenth notes
- Fixed bug causing playback to not properly reflect the current band settings immediately after deleting an entire band section
- Fixing drag and drop midi from the band browser for individual tracks.
- Fixing midi download in Theorytab players embedded in various parts of the site.
- Metronome now clicks by default during recording. This behavior is configurable in the preferences menu.
- Fixed bug causing projects containing certain combinations of guitar patches to fail to play on the first playback
- Fixing bug causing notes to not sound as they are inputted during recording mode
- Fixing bug causing projects containing a smart drum pickup in the last band to fail to load. This bug was introduced in 2.19.0
- Fixing bug where projects containing the instrument
Lead Guitar Single Notesfailed to load. This bug was introduced in 2.19.0
- Fixing bug associated with projects not loading in Safari. This bug was introduced in 2.19.0
Upgraded Sound Engine This update features a big overhaul of Hookpad’s playback engine. While much of this work was under the hood to enable more exciting features in the coming months, there are several improvements that will improve Hookpad’s workflow and performance immediately:
- Looping samples for most sustained instruments: This means that notes on most sustained instruments can be held indefinitely without the sounds cutting off (due to buffer expiration). This also means that the samples are smaller in size, which will improve download and processing time of the sound engine significantly.
- Pseudo-convolver engine for all lead instruments: All lead instruments now use Hookpad’s reverb engine, which means that they will have improved sound quality in general.
- New presets for drums: Smart drum patches can now be configured to remove the kick, crash, or fill, which is useful for many genres of music.
- More responsive volume controls: This refactor eliminated latency with mute and volume controls in the band browser which was causing delay between executing a command and hearing the change
- Lead track names can now be customized. These names will show up in sheet music exports
- New Accordion sound patch
- Changed default volume of instrument patches to 0.5 to allow for more head room in mixes
- Fixed issue that caused harmonizers to not properly export in MIDI
- Band instruments saved with zero velocity now properly retain this velocity on load
- Changed default cursor snap grid from “measure” to “1/4 beat”
- Fixing sheet music exports that were failing in projects with multiple sections and multiple lead voices in some cases.
- Fixing sheet music bugs associated with multiple sections.
- Fixed superscript, subscript, slash, and secondary portions of chord label disappearing on light-up and selection in Chrome. Solution was to remove the background filter. Pretty sure this is a Chrome rendering bug since it works in all other browsers with the filter.
<span>for the key/scale control
Under The Hood
- New admin setting to not draw staff backgrounds. Used in Hooktheory Books exercise solutions.
- Added admin “scale centric” color setting that makes colors the same for each scale. I.E., scale degree 1 is always red. Scale degree 2 is always orange, etc.
- Bump react from 16.4.1 to 17.0.1
- Bump react-redux from 5.0.7 to 7.2.2
- Bump react-scripts from 3.4.1 to 4.0.1
- Added meta tag to prevent search engines from indexing Hookpad
- Updated robots.txt to prevent search engines from indexing Hookpad
- Fixed Clicking on the start of a hookpad project while it’s playing will sometimes cause everything to disappear
- Applied seventh chords in 3rd inversion no longer crash (bug introduced in 2.18.5)
- Fixed bug causing some inverted suspended seventh chords to leave out the chord 5th
- Changing applied viio seventh chords to fully diminished from half-diminished.
- New persistent setting for continuous auto scroll, where the score continuously scrolls during playback to keep the scrubber centered. Defaults off.
- Fixed Accidentals display incorrectly over line break reported by @Vaz123
- Fixing Piano instrument so that it once again:
- Shows notes during playback
- Enters notes and chords when keys are clicked
Under The Hood
- Added ability to not cache instruments on loading a project
- When multiple app instances are on a single page and one instances requests to play while another is playing, the other instance now pauses.
- Namespaced CSS styles so Hookpad styles/CSS don’t modify external content when Hookpad app instances are rendered on webpages
- Enabled an inline configurable score + instrument player.
- Fast double tap in the control bar in iOS no longer causes the entire app to “zoom”. This is a standard accessibility feature for iOS Safari webpages, but doesn’t make sense in Hookpad.
- Fixed issue with section paste using whatever was on clipboard, even if not a section. Now section paste only works if a section has been copied to the clipboard.
- Fixed selection light-up indexing issue in projects with notes or chords that span the bounds of segments or lines. Bug introduced in 2.18.0.
- Added rewind button for Hookpad Player in Hooktheory Classroom.
- Fixed chord/note selection light-up becomes messed up if project has at least 32 bars reported by @Vaz123. Bug introduced in 2.18.1.
- Fixed the compact layout of the mixer dropdown in Hookpad Player
- Fixed crash when clicking “sections” when the project had no sections. Bug introduced in 2.18.0.
- Defaulting to regular (non-touch) controls. 2.18.0 accidentally pushed with touch controls as default. Since this is a persistent app setting, see Preferences -> App Preferences -> Touch Controls if you want to restore the normal controls.
- Removed drawing of extra selected measures during measure selections that caused slow performance with large measure selection regions.
- Removed note staff preferences when not showing note staff
- Added keyboard shortcuts to nudge tooltips
- Fixed tooltip for zoom out touch control
- Added tooltips to chord palette labels
- On touch devices, added a magnifying glass when editing notes to show what is under your finger. This is on by default but can be turned off in Preferences -> App Settings -> Peek Under Finger.
- New touch control bar that prioritizes delete, undo, redo, cut, copy, paste, nudge, and zoom. This is off by default but can be turned on in Preferences -> App Settings -> Touch Controls
- New app setting for the height of notes. Support 6px - 24px (default is 10px). On touch devices, I recommend increasing the height to at least 16 px. See Preferences -> App Settings -> Note Height.
- New app setting to hide the labels in the control bar for a minimalist look once you learn the icons. See Preferences -> App Settings -> Show Labels In GUI.
- Simplified the measure context GUI (it gets activated by selecting measures). My head spun looking at it before.
- Improved tooltips throughout the GUI. On touch, do a long press to see the tooltip.
- Rearrange sections by dragging them left/right in the section staff. This doesn’t work on the section flags“flags” in the score; only in the section staff.
- Improved formatting and organization of preferences menu
- Fixed crash when selecting popular chord palette before clicking any other palette.
- Fixed the meter for the master level spilling into a second row on mobile Safari.