- 15 new electronic instruments and effects (complete list below)
- New “quick preview” option for magic chord and bass collection previews. The original full preview option with melody is still available.
- 2.5X more responsive (see performance benchmarks below)
- 20% faster app launch. Shaved 20% from the gzipped app bundle, (765 KB now vs 945 KB before).
- Playback stop now allows samples to play their release tails
- Changed several menus to make them consistent with native applications
- Settings top-level menu moved to Hookpad → Settings
- MIDI top-level menu moved to Hookpad → Midi Settings
- Hookpad → About Hookpad now shows version info and has a link to the release notes.
- Electric Piano (smart and legato)
- Electric Piano Dark (smart and legato)
- Dark Lead (smart and legato)
- Drop 1-bar
- Drop 2-bar
- Rise 1-bar
- Rise 2-bar
- Electric Piano
- Dark Piano
- Syncopation Pad
- Brassopad Offbeaat 1/8s
- Supersaw Pad
- Supersaw Pumping Pad
- Metal guitar Rock 1/8s 2
- Metal guitar Rock 1/8s 3
- Metal guitar Backbeat 1/8s
- Metal Guitar Gallops
- Metal Guitar Gallops 2
- Metal Guitar Open 1/16s
- Metal Guitar Muted 1/16s
- Deep Winds
- Dark Bass
- Acid Bass
- Acid Pluck
- Bowed String Bass Deep
- Supersaw Bass
- Alternating Thumb Bass
- Fixed issue with line breaks not deleting properly when in the middle of a selection or when deleting measures would result in a break happening on the first beat.
- Fixed pause button for magic chord auditions and bass collection auditions.
- Fixed bug causing pops on when entering notes and chords in Firefox
- Hookpad player now correctly lays out scores with pickup measures
Hardware and software configuration for performance benchmarks:
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
- 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
- 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
- Browser: Chrome 76
- Hookpad is loaded with Arcade Madness (demo song) at global zoom of 50% and horizontal zoom of 58% to provide a challenging use case.
- All comparisons use Chrome performance profiler for benchmarking. Hookpad 2.6 is compared to Hookpad 2.5
- Absolute performance data is likely better than shown below because of overhead with the profiler in Chrome.
3.1x Faster Drag-Selection (12.5 FPS vs. 4 FPS)
To perform this test, I drag-selected a melody and chord region in Arcade Madness and recorded frames per second (FPS) in chrome profiler
4.5x Faster Note Adding (29 notes per second vs. 6.7 notes per second)
To perform this test I held down the “1” key for five seconds to enter notes in rapid succession. macOS has a “Key Repeat” setting in System Preferences that I set to “Fast” to push Hookpad as much as possible.
- In Hookpad 2.6.0, 158 notes are processed in real time over five seconds while holding down the “1” key.
- In Hookpad 2.5.0, 152 notes are entered, but it takes 22.6 seconds to process the 5-second key-press event: 5 seconds while holding the “1” key plus 17.6 seconds of processing / painting after releasing the “1” key.
2.6X faster note editing (100 ms vs. 260 ms)
To perform this test a selected note was shifted by a scale degree with the up key.
- MIDI melody import! To use: File → Import Midi Melody
- Copy & paste between projects! To use: copy any selection like normal then Edit → “Paste From Clipboard”
- File → “Open from TheoryTab Library” opens a dialog that describes how to copy and paste melody or chord clips from the TheoryTab library into your project
- Fixed bug with lyrics (RM fill in more detail here)