- Turning off Redux Dev Tools accidentally left on in 1.5.3
- Added notifications controls to the points / streak / weekly goal modal
- Added notifications controls to the modal that is shown after completing the daily crush if either type of notification is not turned on.
- Improved the notification time selector interface
- Added manage account, delete account buttons to the user menu.
- Fixed issue with the daily puzzle being unloaded after logging out and logging in
Under the Hood
- Bump hooktheory-auth to 1.0.34
- Push notifications support to receive reminders to keep Daily streak alive or set a customizable daily practice time
- Reworking Levels game play flow. Removed lives. Always complete 10 puzzles. There is also a new skill ring based on number correct over multiple times.
- Fixed issue with space bar not always playing Youtube audio correctly in Youtube mode.
- Fixed issue when network errors occur when loading the daily puzzle. The “Try Again” button was reloading a puzzle for Crush mode rather than reloading the puzzle for Daily mode.
- Improved size of points, streak, weekly goal in header on mobile
- Improved size of YouTube preview in daily card on mobile
- Daily puzzle
- Experience points tracking (resets weekly)
- Progress state pushes to Hooktheory servers when signing in to Chord Crush for the first time.
- Fixed broken instrumental audio playback on solutions to puzzles in Train mode that open in a modal and default to YouTube audio playback. This was due to an audio library update for Hookpad that accidentally affected Chord Crush.
- When a puzzle loads with a YouTube error, the bottom left “play/next” button now loads another puzzle.
- Renamed “Train” to “Crush”
- Fixing issue with Chrome 114 causing modals and popovers to not open and making many of the screens unusable.
- First two levels of every world in Level Up are now free for all users.
- Added levels 4, 5, and 6 to Level Up! These new levels cover secondary (or applied) chords, seventh chords, and common progressions in Minor, Mixolydian and Dorian.
- Fixing issue causing star levels in Level Up to sometimes request incorrect puzzles.
- Adding looping to both instrumental and YouTube playback modes
- Adding back chord names for players with rating > 2000
- Fixing issue where entering a chord would sometimes cause the current playback to play chords an additional time.
- Fixing bug where puzzles with chords with multiple sus or add properties would sometimes mark correct answers as incorrect
- Fixing issue in Safari causing autoplay to not work after starting to solve first puzzle on app launch
- Fixed issue causing chord colors to not show up in custom chord
- Fixed Train with YouTube audio source. This broke with 1.2.17
- Fixed missing colors on chords on non-diatonic chords in “about this world”
Under The Hood
- Updating pitch scheduling algorithm to be consistent with Hookpad 2.24.0. This should increase stability of playback in all game modes.
- Upgraded the Chord Crush audio engine to the Hookpad v2.22.5 audio engine, which attempts to address some issues surrounding dropping chords and glitchy playback
- Fixed missing colors on drag chord. Introduced in 1.2.14 as a result of adding accessibility color options to Hookpad (coming soon for Chord Crush!)
- New iOS app icon (when added to home screen)
- Second attempt to fix unresponsive “click to start” screen that some users experience. Removed state prop
splashScreenRemoved that was lingering around from earlier iterations of the splash screen logic and we believe was unexpectedly causing the app to think the splash screen was already removed in some cases when it was still showing.
- Fixed issue causing the “click to start” screen to not work properly in landscape mode on certain size tablets / phones. Users reported that the click seemed to register on what was underneath the splash screen, e.g. tapping would advance the app to the “Level Up” or “Train” game without dismissing the splash screen. We beleive we fixed this but please let us know if you still observe this issue!
- Fixed vertical alignment of text and icons at the top of the level up game (progress and timer)
- Fixed iOS app icon when added to home screen
Under The Hood
- Prior to this release, Hookpad and Chord Crush were on separate git branches and had diverged significantly. We (painstakingly!) merged them back together to make it easier to add new common features in the future. There is a chance this merge busted some things. We did a lot of internal testing before this release but please let us know if you run into new bugs or styling issues.
- On last incorrect puzzle of a level, “solution” and “next” buttons are now available, giving you the chance to see the solution and replay the puzzle. Clicking “next” activates the game over screen.
- Improved formatting on smaller devices (e.g., iPhone 9 and older); the app scales so more content fits in the viewport.
- This was accomplished with modifying the viewport meta tag on smaller devices.
- App content is scaled so a minimum of 628 px tall of content fits in the browser.
- 628 px is the height of iPhone 12 mini iOS Safari, which is what we used as smallest supported size during development.
- Changed theme mute icon (top right) to standard volume icon rather than musical notes
- Account privileges are now refreshed from Hooktheory servers on app launch
- Account privileges are now refreshed from Hooktheory servers when the user account menu is toggled
- Fixed border radius of level difficulty selection outline
- Fixed issue with www.hooktheory.com/auth returning incorrect privileges. It was returning Hookpad privileges for Chord Crush privileges and was not returning Chord Crush Premium privileges at all! This was the source of much frustration for some users that reported having to re-authenticate with the Chord Crush app every session to have it honor their purchase. This is because re-authenticating through the app pulls privileges from api.hooktheory.com rather than www.hooktheory.com and returned correct information.
- Simpler splash screen
- Simpler PWA app icon
- Modal that blocks landscape on mobile shows on all screens and can show multiple times per session.
- Fixed bug on smaller mobile phones on the “Level Up” “Select Level” screen where the bottom row of levels wouldn’t be easily clickable because the footer was sitting on top of them (it wasn’t visible, but this was causing an issue).
- Reduced witdh of “Level Up” world cards so four fit in a single row on iPhone 5/SE.
- Reduced size of “Level Up” stars on mobile so three stars don’t clip the level card on iPhone 5/SE.
- Can now start over / reset your progress. Click your account menu and click “Reset” and you’ll have a new unplayed Chord Crush.
- Added settings button on home screen.
- After failing a “level up” level and clicking restart, the level would sometimes restart while simultaneously returning to the “select level” screen. This was caused by a race condition on code that handled dismissing the game over modal and code that handled clicking “retry”.
- Possibly fixed bug that would cause the app to get stuck on the splash screen showing “click to start” and being unresponsive (not 100% sure the fix works please let us know).
- Fixed crash when playing Train after Level Up
- Fixed bug causing sporadic chords to play briefly before starting levels
- Fixed bug causing levels to not correspond to their descriptions, introduced in 1.2.1
- Customized text on the lock screen for each mode of the game.
- Lock screen now pings Hooktheory servers for account privelages every three seconds to auto-update privelages when a purhcase is made.
- Lock screen now encourages guest users to login. Several users were reporting that they had purchased Chord Crush but were still seeing the lock screen because they were not logged into the app. Hopefully this helps in this scenario.
- Fixed potential bounds issue when saving the completion of a puzzle lesson
- Added descriptions to “Level Up” and “Train” modes
- Logo in top left of app
- In “Level Up”, first level of each world is now unlocked by default.
- In “Level Up”, all level difficulties are unlocked by default.
- In “Level Up”, bonus levels are now accessible by getting 2-star ratings on all levels in a world, down from 3 stars.
- In “Level Up”, new bonus levels for every world let you put your skills to the test on real audio from songs. Unlock bonus levels by getting 3 stars on all levels in the world.
- Not allowing chord dragging to happen if the key orienter is playing.
Introducing Level Up! A new Chord Crush game
- Make your way through levels designed to teach your ear to recognize specific chords and chord patterns.
- Fixing bug causing Chord Crush to sometimes respond to MIDI input
- Fixed drawing past the right edge of viewport for puzzles with more than four measures.
- Fixed bug causing certain puzzles to be incorrectly formatted where empty measures were appended to the end of the puzzle.
Under The Hood
- Ability to load specific puzzle into Train mode for admin debugging.
- Show a plot of rating / progress in Train and Train Real Audio modes for logged out users
- Fixed YouTube player on top of the purchase required message when coming from Train Real Audio mode.
- New free users get 25 training puzzles and five rushes before daily use is limited (to five training + one rush per day for free users).
- Fixed YouTube player being on top of the settings modal in Train Real Audio mode.
Under The Hood
- Made criteria for showing fireworks more stringent.
- Train with real song audio.