- Improved Magic Chord and Magic Bass
- Magic Chord now shows chord-use data, displaying examples of songs that use the suggested chord in the same context.
- Magic Chord and Magic Bass choosers now have buttons for previous chord, next chord, audition, cancel and accept.
- Magic Chord and Magic Bass choosers can now be controlled with keyboard shortcuts ←, →, ↑, and ↓
- Magic Chord and Magic Bass choosers now drop down from the top and don't cover the score.
- Magic Bass button now shows bass color of selected chord
- Improved Exporting
- MP3 export now adds exactly 1 beat of silence before export region to facilitate syncing in DAWs more effectively. - Midi export grids notes on prescribed beats rather than using the timing of Hookpad playback
- Midi export tracks now have instrument names attached for clarity
- Sheet music export adds instrument names to staves.
- Sheet music export now only exports one consolidated melody per lead voice rather than one stave per lead instrument.
- Sheet music export shows guitar strums as slashes
- A pickup measure can now be added to your project
- Lyrics can be ignored using block-style /* */ comments
- Improved support for touch interactions (mobile still not officially supported)
- Forms for add key / meter / tempo / band now drop down from the top and don't cover as much of the score
- Removed extra padding on some menu bar menus
- Acoustic guitar leads now play correctly above G5.
- Chord labels that span measure crossings no longer have the measure line interfering with the label
- Fixed cursor placement after removal of the last measure
- Fixed bug causing magic bass to sometimes include a chord from a different bass
- Volume and octave values now show in band tool as sliders are adjusted
- Taller measure staff for easier selection
- Loop region color changed from blue to yellow
- Added 5 px of padding between measure staff and loop staff
- Octave slider disabled for drum pickups
- Magic chord "full preview" now stops scrubber at the end of playback
- Mp3 export now downsamples according to client hardware specification sample rate to fix exports in wrong key/tempo.
- Mp3 export now properly exports stereo sound.
- Fixing bug requiring multiple taps on mobile devices to enter chords and notes (in preparation for mobile support in the future)
- Fixed the “Add Track” modal within the band GUI from being partially hidden by the band GUI
- Fixed issue with Menu Bar and Controls Bar not showing up in Firefox. This bug was introduced in 2.0.4
- Fixed issue during drag selection that caused vertical reflows and odd flickering / shaking behavior of the score during drag selection. This bug was introduced in 2.0.4
- Fixed dropdown menus from being clipped by the chord / note GUI in Safari. This bug was introduced in v2.0.4
- Note lightup and scrubber are throttled back during mp3 export to improve performance
- Project no longer plays while an mp3 is being recorded
- Midi and mp3 export now name files the same name as the project name
- Fixed a bug causing pickup bands to crash during mp3 record.
- Fixed a bug causing project to bounce mp3 using first band only.
- Sample rate of project and mp3 encoding are synched which should fix detuning bug on some platforms.
- Updated layout so horizontal scroll bars on the Menu Bar, Controls Bar, and the Context Gui do not cover any of the GUIs; they now show up below and things reflow to make room
- Fixed a problem causing Hookpad v1.x projects to not load properly when there is no lead1 instrument, harmony or bass instrument
- Fixed lyrics import from Hookpad v1.x projects to properly account for spaces at the beginning of lines
- Chord symbol for applied chords are now correctly being displayed
- Relaxed conditions for non-Hookpad+ band changes so that non-plus users can edit volumes of bands.
- Configured Hookpad to accept tabs copied from the TheoryTab library.
- Fixed a bug causing certain old Hookpad projects to crash when loading into the new Hookpad.
- Fixed a bug causing the old version of Hookpad to not properly load in some cases.
More Intuitive Entry and Editing The familiar text-like entry mode is still supported, but a new entry mode allows lets you edit without affecting music ahead of the edit point.
Key Changes, Tempo Changes, Meter Changes, and Band Changes Within a Project You can now change the key, tempo, meter, or band as many times as you want within a project.
Expanded Library of Sounds And Instruments Hookpad 2 has all of the Hookpad 1 sounds plus 42 guitar presets, 108 drums, 72 leads, and 61 basses.
Measure-Level Exporting Hookpad 2 lets you export sections of your song with measure granularity.
Chord Bass Collections Hookpad 2 lets you choose from a palette of chords that share a common bass note.
Expanded Support for Simple and Compound Meters Hookpad 2 supports standard time signatures for simple and compound meters. Drum, guitar, and harmony instrument rhythms adjust automatically based on the meter.
Improved Performance Hookpad 2 is more performant and no longer requires the Adobe Flash Plugin.
Hookpad 2 is Backwards Compatible Hookpad 1 projects can be opened, edited, and saved with Hookpad 2.
Hookpad 1 is Not Forwards Compatible
- New projects originating from Hookpad 2 cannot be opened by Hookpad 1.
- Hookpad 1 projects that are opened in Hookpad 2 and saved with Hookpad 2 can still be opened with Hookpad 1, but they won’t contain any of the changes made with Hookpad 2.
- Added checks for Hookpad+ in polyphony.
- Changed non-plus experience for bands: now non-plus users can use any default band template, but can no longer change instruments or add new instruments to a band.
- New demo songs
- Default band templates can no longer be deleted
- Added demo songs
- Adding default band templates for various styles.
- New instrument rhythms: Acoustic guitar breaks, piano upbeat patterns, piano rolls
- Adjusted logic for which alterations are valid on various chord types. Alterations on the highest degree of the chord are now not allowed. Alterations of a degree are now forbidden when adding that degree
- Renamed add4 and add6 to add11 and add13 respectively
- Allow support of adding sus4 to 9th chords
- Allow support of adding 13 to 9th chords
- Reorganized instrument names
- Added support for lyrics properly importing from HP1
- Removing Youtube button, as this will not be a part of the initial Hookpad release.
- Allowing more levels for horizontal zoom, and setting minimum global zoom to 50%
- Pickup drums with no subsequent drum track are no longer voiced
- Key changes now preserve octaves correctly.
- Fixed a bug that was causing Safari to crash in some cases
- In measure wrap mode, the correct number of measures are now being drawn at the end of a song
- Removed various settings from undo state
- Fixed a bug causing borrowed chords from very old HP1 projects to not import properly.
- Fixed a bug causing drag handlers to not show up in some cases.
- Adjusted some A-barre guitar chords that were sounding on the wrong pitch
- 13th chords in full voicing mode now play the 5th.
- Inverted suspended chords are now spelled correctly
- Alterations of minor 7th chords are now spelled correctly
- Full voicing no longer omits suspensions.
- Sheet music export works with chords requiring "+" sign.
- Fixed bug causing chord degree omission voicing no3 and no5 to remove other scale degrees in some cases when using "full" voicing.
- Midi export now exports drum track in the octave expected by most DAW drum instruments.
- Add6 chords now properly preserve 7th of chord in 7th chords.
- Changed absolute notation of major sixth chords to the suffix "6" as in "C6"
- Fixed bug causing addX chords to drop chord tones in sheet music export in some cases.
- Guitar rhythms featuring percussive guitar sounds now show these sounds as rests in sheet music export
- Made split and tie buttons visually distinct from the other duration buttons
- Line break button in measure operations GUI placed in separate column
- Help menu with links to keyboard shortcuts and Hookpad manual
- All tempo forms now allow typing in the beats per minute
- Updated distortion model for metal guitar to be more realistic
- Added prescribed bass patterns for bossa and reggae basses
- Added prescribed rhythm patterns for piano harmony tracks in various styles
- Metal guitar now plays power chords in the standard guitar range for default octaves
- Harpsichord and Harp now roll chords
- Tuned playback parameters of various instruments
- When loading new song, duration gui updates to the meter at the location of the cursor
- When loading from disk (.json file), project name updates to name of .json file
- Blank state hints now show up correctly if entire first line is empty.
- Measure staff blank state hint now goes away if there is a measure selection.
- Fixed bug with special characters (e.g., b for flat) in absolute chord graphics with suspensions.
- Now properly labelling accidentals on minor 13th chords
- Midi export no longer can create notes with velocities outside of the interval [0, 127].
- 13th chords with explicit alterations of 5 now play this degree.
- Fixed bug where multiple composite instruments on the same instrument type would crash playback
- Bass rhythms now play correct chord tones on inverted chords
- Fixed several sheet music export bugs:
- Empty measures now properly export rests
- Minor, augmented, suspended, and diminished chords now export when having explicitly altered scale degrees
- Chords on B now correctly export
- Double chord tone accidentals no longer crash, however they display as single accidentals.
- Notes that cross octave boundaries due to accidentals now display in the correct octave.
- Compound meter using beat unit of 1 now displays chords in chord mode with correct durations.
Fixed bug where '+' was being dropped from .ly files when transferring to server.
- Hookpad now verifies Hookpad+ status with server
- Added keyboard shortcuts (enter, escape) for the delete project confirmation modal.
- Fixed bug with auto-scroll not working properly at zooms other than 100%
- Key changes using navigation bar button now spell correct enharmonic based on available key tonics.
- Sheet music export bug fixes:
- Fixed bug associated with exporting projects with multiple time signature changes
- Now exporting 6, 9, and 12 beats measure measure as 6/4, 9/4, and 12/4 when beatUnit == 1
- "6/9" chords no longer crashing
- Chords that add scale degrees with accidentals now work. E.g., add#4, addb9, etc
- Chords that have suspensions with accidentals now work
- Added support for mp3 export (requires Hookpad+)
- Fixed bug causing rest chords to show stable scale degrees 1, 3, and 5 on mouse hover
- Fixed bug causing rest chords to show stable scale degrees 1, 3, and 5 with “stable” toggle on
- Added support for two-dimensional melody selection.
- Added support for renaming saved projects through File -> Open menu.
- Addes support for deleting saved projects through File -> Open menu
- Added split and tie buttons to the duration selector.
- When split is activated through duration selector or by holding "/", cursor changes to indicate that clicking will split the chord / note that is clicked.
- Added support for score, tab, lead sheet export (requires Hookpad+).
- Added support for mp3 export in next release (requires Hookpad+) Still need to fix worker path bug.
- Added raise/lower by half step, step, and octave buttons to melody GUI.
- Added global volume menu with mute buttons for melody, chord, bass and drum tracks.
- Added new vocal instruments.
- Added "full" voicing, which does not organically omit scale degrees for chords.
- "Piano Full Chords" Harmony option will include bass, and can be used to export to MIDI to achieve bass note in harmony voicing (MIDI exporet requires Hookpad+).
- Certain band sounds now require Hookpad+
- Holding ‘b’ (for both) allows dragging notes up and down and left and right simultaneously.
- Added support for line breaks. Hitting enter will add a line break at the cursor. Also can add a break from measure selection gui when a measure is selected.
- Fixed bug causing drum pickup rhythms in swing eights time to crash.
- When opening from disk, any instruments that need to be loaded are now loaded. (requires Hookpad+)
- Bug fixes for adding blanks space and rests when converting between classic/table insert entry mode and when deleting line breaks/measures causing rewraps
- Removed erroneous augmented symbol applied to the target of an applied chord.
- Band saving / loading / deleting added
- Save to disk / load from disk added
- Magic Chord, Magic Bass Chord, Exporting, and Lyrics now require active Hookpad+ membership.
- Eventually measure export, saving band templates, and certain band sounds will require Hookpad+.
- Horizontal zoom now supported
- Added auto scroll during playback
- Updating sound chain to include a compressor and limiter node
- Playback can now be "solo"-ed for leads 1-4, harmony, bass, and drums. This applies to mp3 export as well.
- Added smart pickup drums that play lead-ins to drums on the measure before a drum region start
- Added drum breaks for each drum instrument
- Smart drums now places fills based on the drum region length
- New band tracks now add at default volume
- Added new instruments:
Classical Choir (male + female),
Pop Bass (various rhythms),
Rock Bass (various rhythms)
- Sheet music export now supports lyrics
- Magic chord auditions that span various key signatures now play in the correct corresponding keys
- Fixed bug causing the first note of playback on some instruments to have a late attack.
- Projects imported from Hookpad 1 containing chords borrowed from "supermodes" now correctly preserve these modes.
- Seventh chords in 3rd inversion omit the "7" label only for major, minor, diminished, augmented and major minor seventh qualities.
- Eleventh chords now display in slash notation when applicable (as voiced, with 3rd and 5th omitted)
- Fixed bug causing mp3 export to crash
- Note staff and chord staff now properly update when stable button is toggled
- Relative transpositions are supported for valid relative scales.
- Adjusted and balanced various instruments
- Added a master compressor node to deal with multiple instrument playback
- Added new instruments:
Studio Piano Lead,
Acoustic Lead Sustain,
Pop Bass (+ melody and 1/8s),
Rock Bass (+ melody and 1/8s), and
Cl. Electric Lead Sustain
- Added raise / lower buttons to note GUI
- Loop region now snaps to measures when creating a new area and snaps to 16th/quarter beat with and without shift when enlarging an existing (before it was always to measure)
- added support for polyphonic pasting when copying a measure selection.
- inactive melody notes now light up during playback
- rests in inactive melodies are hidden.
- experimenting with different inactive melody color schemes to be easier to read
- voices can be made visible and invisible
- Improved drawing performance
- Note staffs, chord staffs on separate layers and only redraw when required
- Note staff highlight on chord hover separated to different layer and only redraws when required
- Note staff background rainbow separated to different layer and only redraws when required
- Note staff border separated to different layer only redraws when required
- Note staff measure, beat, and octave, lines separated to different layer and only redraw when required
- The fifth of sus42 chords now properly gains accidentals when appropriate in borrowed modes.
- Changing a band, key, or tempo in the middle of playback no longer crops playback of old setting and no longer double-hits drums.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused ghost notes to appear when changing key or loopstate in the middle of playback
- Loading projects from Hookpad v1.x no longer adding a default drum track
- Loading projects from Hookpad v1.x no longer causing voice 4 to be loaded at full volume.
- Add9s are now properly loading from Hookpad v1.x
- Fixed an issue causing meter changes from
Beat Unit = 3 to
Beat Unit = 1 to put the scrubber in the wrong location.
- Fixed note drag up/down with expanded staff
- Fixed bug in enlarging loop region
- When loop region snaps to measures it now respects meter changes.
- When loop region is inactive it is invisible mouse drags. Fixed custom cursor changes during mouse over inactive regions to match this behavior.
- fixed issues with shift selecting across notes and chords.
- slicing notes/chords with shift was not saving state for undo
- Fixed issues with pasting in classic (text-like) entry mode (need to ensure rests are filled appropriately)
- pasting won't overflow a line in classic entry mode.
- it is not possible to copy paste a key/meter/tempo/band change by clicking on the flag to select it.
- Fixed issue with clicking notes/chords sometimes not selecting the item (occured only on some platforms with certain input devices).
- using arrow keys to change note selected plays the note when the selection changes
- fixed bug with dragging notes on chromatic staff.
- Band UI is now a menu, consistent with meter, key, and tempo menus.
- Change key/tempo/meter/band within measure-level operations now support keyboard shortcuts (escape for cancel and enter for OK)
- Inversions of altered chords are now properly showing stable scale degrees and coloring.
- Scale degrees ##2 and ##6 are now displaying color and position properly in the phrygian dominant and harmonic minor scales respectively
- Chords #vii˚/#vii and V/#vii obtained by borrowing major chords in the minor mode no longer freeze Hookpad. This bug is fixed for all combinations of borrowed/applied chords that create double-sharped scale degrees.
- Descending chromatic transposition via the ',' key now properly displays on the note context GUI in scales that do not contain a leading tone 7.
- Alterations of the 5th are now playing properly on ninth, eleventh, and thirteenth chords.
- Inversions of altered chords no longer alter incorrect scale degrees.
Mid Electric Pick instrument is now caching properly
- Fixed issues that allowed note durations to be set to 0
- Fixed bug in smart note entry that picked octave based on rests instead of previous note
- Fixed checks to make sure notes can't go above/below max octave
- Fixed issue with deleting measures not shifting bands over correctly
- Dragging notes up / down with expanded note staff now works. Still have a bug with chromatic / option drag with expanded staff.
2.0.0-beta.1 (2018.03.17 )
To read about the prior version of Hookpad, see Hookpad v1 Release Notes