Suggestion: Add Song Structure to Hooktheory Database

Hi,

FWIW, I think it would be a great addition to the Hooktheory Database if the structure of the song was included for each song.

By structure I mean Intro, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Outro, etc. (e.g. IVCVCBVCO ). The number of measures and the running time of each are obvious parameters to be included with each section. I’m sure there could be others of use.

I realize that the question of “Which version of the song?” pertains in this age of covers, remixes, etc. I would simply suggest that the version analyzed for structure be pointed to as a reference, and in general, the structural analysis of hit songs per se would be the most desirable.

To me, the point would be to shed light on the structure of hit arrangements, bringing out how variety, repetition, alteration, etc. are used to create an X minute experience that has a high level of human resonance.

2 Likes

I was thinking of this too because then the software would know how each section is pieced together to better calculate the chord and melody metrics. They probably won’t be able to do this for a long time though.

By my interpretation of your question: That seems to be already done! TheoryTabs are usually separated into sections, with a list of said sections at the top. I guess you can refer to that list as the structure of the song. :+1:

BUT… Some TheoryTabs aren’t actually complete with all sections, as they usually contain many repeating sections which don’t contrast rhythmically, they don’t repeat. :slightly_smiling_face: