Social Justice songs

I would like to request some more songs that deal with issues of social justice. I’m a teacher and my students are doing a project about remaking songs of social justice but I can only find about 5 on here for them to learn and replay.

I have more songs on my spotifiy playlist here: Government/Police Brutality/Abuse of Power
Bob Dylan – Hurricane
N.W.A. – F***K The Police - Edited
Public Enemy – Fight The Power
KRS-One – Sound of da Police
Women’s Rights and Respect/Equality
Destiny’s Child – Independent Women, Pt. I
Queen Latifah – U.N.I.T.Y.
Bob Marley & The Wailers – Get Up, Stand Up
Queen Latifah / Monie Love – Ladies First
Poverty
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five feat. Melle Mel & Duke Bootee – The Message
Issues of Race
Billie Holiday – Strange Fruit
James Brown – Say It Loud - I’m Black And I’m Proud
Sly & The Family Stone – Everyday People
Mavis Staples – Eyes On The Prize
Michael Jackson – Black or White
War
Edwin Starr – War
Youth
Gil Scott-Heron – Save The Children
Nas – I Can
Yolanda Adams – What About the Children
General/Multiple Issues
Marvin Gaye – Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
The Black Eyed Peas – Where Is The Love?
Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On
John Mayer – Waiting on the World to Change
Gil Scott-Heron – The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
2Pac – Changes - 1998 Greatest Hits (Explicit)
Phil Collins – Another Day In Paradise
Tracy Chapman – Fast Car
Sam Cooke – A Change Is Gonna Come
Michael Jackson – We Are the World
John Lennon – Imagine - 2010 - Remaster
Unity
Mali Music – One
King Tee – We’re All In The Same Gang

2 Likes

Wow. I personally create various types of playlists on my Spotify app. To my greatest satisfaction, I recently got a Spotify playlist converter, with which I can freely download and save my Spotify playlists to my local computer with lossless quality and ID3 tags. Now, I get access to listen to Spotify offline on my other devices without limits.

I’ll try to make some of these and will reply with the links when I finish them.

@shawenswift06 Independent Women Pt 1 was already on hooktheory but was made with major flaws so I updated it - the new version is named “Independent Women Pt 1” instead of “Independent Women Part 1”. I cannot post a link to it here because of a bug. You can also create your own hooktheory tabs by going to More > Add a new TheoryTab. It’s free and has a very easy interface to learn.