"Real notes" interface

Hello,
This probably was asked in the past, but I’m wondering why the interface wouldn’t allow for a ‘normal’ note staff, yet using the coloring features of the current one.
Just because for musicians who know how to sightread, this is a very common way to write and read music.
Keep up the good work!

1 Like

@KleineMerel, it’s a good question!

As a sheet-music-reading musician myself, I agree that sometimes the best way to see music is on a conventional staff. That being said, writing music on a “piano roll”-type interface like Hookpad has some distinct advantages. Chords, for instance, are much easier to input. Durations can be changed without too much trouble. And of course, features like the melody guides can help you orient your melody quickly with your chord progression. These things can all be done in a scorewriter like Finale or Sibelius, but it is MUCH more challenging and time consuming.

We designed and conceived Hookpad to be a “musical sketchpad”: it’s a place where you can get an idea from your head (or fingers) onto the page as quickly and simply as possible. This required some tradeoffs but ultimately we’re happy with the space that it exists in. And remember that if you ever want to see your music on the staff, you can always export the score.

@Ryan, thanks for the quick reply.
You are right about the speed of the current system and also the use of colors brings much advantages.
Thing is that for music students you’d want to combine both, meaning “forcing” them to learn the staff still, while still having the many excellent supporting features around too.
I hadn’t really looked into the export function yet.

Completely agree, for students of music who are accustomed to sheet music, being able to read their compositions on a staff is important. All projects in Hookpad can be converted to conventional sheet music using the Export->Score, or Export->Lead Sheet options.

1 Like