Raise/lower chord by octaves

Just as the title says. I’d like to raise/lower a chord by more than what the chord inversions offer. After I go from root to 3 to 5, I’d like to continue to the root which is higher than the beginning root by one octave, and then go to the next higher note that is an octave higher than the previous 3rd tone.

Thanks anyone for your help!

In Hookpad at the moment you can’t raise or lower individual chords. Instead in the band browser you can use the octave slider of each bass instrument to select the highest and lowest notes the bass instrument may play.

It’s not quite the same as changing individual chords but it’s usually enough to work with.

Please let me know if this could help.

Thanks so much for your help DSchwachhofer! Your solution works well, but only for raising the octave of ALL the chords. Is there a way to raise the octave of just one chord?

Just realized I can click the individual notes of the chord in the top section (where you’d normally write the melody)!

No, raising the octave of just one chord is not possible out of the box. You could theoretically achieve this by creating a band change marker before and after the bar with the chord and change the octave there, but this usually also affects the behaviour of your drums so it’s not the best way.

You can also take like melody voice 4 and write your own bass line where of course you can write any octaves/notes you like.

I have never even fund how to compose for secondary voices at all, let alone at different octaves! /( -_-)\

I still have never found a solution to my first question concerning a split-octave flat/sharp transition note.

When the melody section is selected, on the right side you have a box where it says ‘active voices’. There you can select voice 2 and now write a second voice. If you don’t see the box you can click on the arrow on the right side and the box should appear!

Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 12.06.14|500x500

It is very common in rock music to have large jumps from one chord to the next. Like the beginning of “Pearl Necklace” by ZZ Top or the chorus of “Rock You Like a Hurricane”. For this reason I think adding the ability to shift the pitch of a chord by a large amount without shifting the pitches of surrounding chords would be a very useful feature to add to Hookpad!

1 Like

Is this still true; the first thing I looked for was how to change the octave of a single chord. No luck so far. But, I guess I’ll understand better about using some way to do this. I hate being disappointed right out of the box. All chords are in the same octave; huh. Guess they aren’t teaching about octaves except with voices. :frowning:
But, if you know of a way to change one chord to the next octave… I hate only finding a melody; and when my ear says, use a ii on the next octave… I say what? It’s not possible. That means we’re stuck with songs in once octave only. So sad :frowning: I’ve already read that you can shift the ‘pitch’ of every chord; but, this isn’t what I want exactly… If you find a way, or have found one… please please… would you pass it on to me! :slight_smile:

Sorry to disappoint but yes, this is still true.

I think right now the best approach to have individual octaves is to write the bass melody yourself on voice 4. If you’re writing a rock song you can even use voice 3 for individual riffs with one of our metal guitars.

Or you can try to set a band change for a specific bar, change the octaves at that bar and change it back for the next bar.

Those are the only two solution right now I can think of.

Hi DSchwachhofer,

Thanks! I’ve done that and it works pretty well. Please let me know if you add that individual chord voicing option down the line. I know I’ll use it lots:)

Jeremiah

This is an interesting conversation. Would you mind giving me a little more insight into how Hooktheory works, in terms of coding? I take it adding a root chord, one octave higher, wouldn’t be like adding a new type of fancy chord augmentation to the chord-bank vocabulary for some specific technical reason. Can you tell me a little more about that? I’ve never been much of a programming person, but I’m fascinated by what you guys have built here!