MIDI File Import/Analysis (Hookpad Plus)

It would be cool to be able to import MIDI files for analysis, perhaps as a Hookpad Plus feature. It would make the contribution phase much easier because many MIDI files already exist for many songs, and often have chord tracks and tempo information already. Perhaps there would be an option to import a MIDI file of a song, and then the user could select the track and region to create a Hooktab of.

6 Likes

There are midi files for popular songs? where can I find them?

Google, literally.
There are practically millions of pianists on youtube who post covers of pop songs, some of them also provide sheet music/MIDI in the descriptions below.

Would really like to see MIDI implemented too, if people had keyboards they could just input the notes + chords directly into the editor like Finale or Sibelius.
Trouble is some MIDIs aren’t exactly quantized, so the editor would probably need to have a auto snapback function for that or something

@FriendZone, I think this is a really interesting idea. Certainly for melody, key and tempo this would be fairly straightforward. Chords progressions would require some inference as to where chords start and end, and which notes in the track constitute each chord.

Update: We are planning on adding MIDI melody input support in the future for PLUS members. Importing a MIDI melody will allow you directly populate the note area of Hookpad, and may import other properties such as key signature and tempo. However, since Hookpad currently only supports a single melody, the import will be limited to a single, monophonic melody track (i.e., no chords).

3 Likes

Hi Chris,
Please let me know when midi import for melodies is ready for users.

"Update: We are planning on adding MIDI melody input support in the
future for PLUS members. Importing a MIDI melody will allow you
directly populate the note area of Hookpad, and may import other
properties such as key signature and tempo. However, since Hookpad
currently only supports a single melody, the import will be limited to a
single, monophonic melody track (i.e., no chords). "
Hi there, can anybody update us on melody midi import? Is it ready?

read more on mobile apps development

Hi Jan,
When is the import midi melody will be ready? I think it will speed up the writing process . Thank you

@hookguayo and @JanMeier, we’re bundling this feature in with a bigger update to Hookpad with some really exciting new features. We’re working hard to push this update out in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience!

Any updates here? I’m also interested in being able to upload midi files into hookpad.

Midi import for the melody would be great!! What’s the latest status?

I would also be interested in an update regarding Midi import for Plus users. Thx.

Following up to get this more attention and a response.

Please allow MIDI import would be amazing!

Hi All,

Thanks for this input; it’s clear that this is a priority among our users and is definitely high on our list.

1 Like

Hi, this feature would be great! any updates on this? I would definitely considering paying the plus for that. It would be cool also to import the chord track. This will make song writing a lot easier. Also it will allow you to grow your song database dramatically because you could export midi from chordify or even guitar pro tabs and import here and be able to analyse your all the songs you like instantly.

Hey Ryan is there any update on import midi feature. thanks in advance

Hey all, sorry for the lack of updates. We have decided to bundle this feature in with a more substantial update to Hookpad that is our attempt at addressing the growing list of feature requests from you guys. Chief among these will include a move off of Flash, a revamped MIDI import/export framework, a more diverse key and scale framework to support a larger range of chord qualities, support for key/scale/tempo/mix changes, and much more. We are working hard to put all of this together for you guys but it has required us to take a step back to make sure that everything will come together properly. We really appreciate your continued patience and are very excited about this next phase!

Thank you so much and I am so happy about your blog

Hey Ryan what is the status of midi import feature?

1 Like