How do you use Hooktheory tabs?

Hello everyone. I am interested in learning more about how the community uses the Hooktheory tabs. Here are a few questions I have that will help us all learn more about each and how the Hooktheory is used.

Creating Hooktheory tabs

Do you contribute to the community by creating Hooktheory tabs?
If yes, do you find them difficult or easy to create?
What are the reasons why you find them to be difficult or easy to create?

Using Hooktheory tabs

Do you follow along with the chord progressions to build a repertoire or entertain?
Do you analyze the tabs in great detail to gain a deeper understanding of the songs?
Do you use the Hooktheory tabs other than for entertainment or learning purposes?

If you would like to reply, simply copy and paste the questions and fill them in with your information. I look to hearing from those who would like to reply.

Musically yours,
Stephen J. Souza

Here is my response.

Creating Hooktheory tabs

Do you contribute to the community by creating Hooktheory tabs?

Yes

If yes, do you find them difficult or easy to create?

I am still learning but I do find it easy to create a raw Hooktheory tab I call a sketch. I tab everything from scratch, I work the chord progression first then the melody note by note. I like the idea of working things out chord by chord and note by note It’s a complete learning experience that unfolds before my eyes and ears

What are the reasons why you find them to be difficult or easy to create?

I learned the basics using the Hooktheory resources and continue to refer to them as needed. These valuable resources and practice are making me a better musician. The more tabs I post the easier they are becoming to create.

Using Hooktheory tabs

Do you follow along with the chord progressions to build a repertoire or entertain?

Yes, I play guitar along with the chord progressions which is building up my repertoire.

Do you analyze the tabs in great detail to gain a deeper understanding of the songs?

As previously mentioned, I work on tabs one chord and note at a time to gain a deeper understanding for why certain songs are so appealing.

Do you use the Hooktheory tabs other than for entertainment or learning purposes?

Hooketheory tabs are helping me improve many different levels of my musicianship. I am improving my understanding of songwriting, music theory, song analysis, ear training and so much more.

Hello all,

I am surprised that this post has been read quite a few times without any reply :frowning: I was hoping for at least one comment since I started off with my response.

Musically yours,
Stephen J. Souza

None of the above, except for the last question. I’ve used Hooktheory/TheopryTab as a place to dump my transcriptions before I make an arrangement or something. For example, I made a piano arrangement of Undertale by Toby Fox a few weeks ago, which I transcribed into TheoryTab first.

1 Like

Used to be a top contributor. Now I mainly use it to prototype music for other platforms, or back-port music that I made in other platforms.

Fairly difficult. (This is a transcription of my own work, by the way.)

Hookpad lacks facilities for advanced harmony in both classical and contemporary contexts. Hookpad lags with any considerably large Theorytab.

[quote=“musicianman, post:1, topic:535”]
[/quote]Sometimes I synchronize my own music with the Hookpad output, but that’s it.

[quote=“musicianman, post:1, topic:535”]
[/quote]I always do, especially in the case of non-functional modulations. A lot of the times I struggle to understand my own chord progressions that were not planned in Hookpad.

Although I do stuff based on Hookpad, there is nothing I can do with the tabs themselves until the developers publicly release the .hkt file format API.

1 Like

Hello bigyihsuan,

Thanks for sharing your info and your cool piano arrangement. If you practice enough you will get good at transcribing. I have been doing it for years now and the more I transcribe the more I improve as a musician. Ryan from Hooktheory has some great videos with helpful tips on learning to transcribe. If you would like to learn how to transcribe some basic song sections for practice let me know and I will work with you so you can gain more confidence :smile:

Musically yours,
Stephen J. Souza

Hello HertzDevil,

Thanks for sharing your info and your transcription. Your style in that song sounds interesting and refreshing at the same time. Your style seems to be something that is difficult to transcribe in Hookpad. From what I have read in your posts, you know your stuff and are very theoretical :slight_smile: I am looking forward to the release of Hookpad 2 and hoping for more options for more advanced transcriptions.

Musically yours,
Stephen J. Souza