Better selection of genres

The list of genres that can be chosen in TheoryTab is pretty bad. I’m sure there are better descriptors than “Disney”, “Holiday” and “Children’s”. How big of a percentage do the “J-pop” and “K-pop” tabs really encompass? Where is one of the most popular genres, house?

Here’s a good list of genres: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/genre/date/pop

It separates electronic, dance, house and techno; and rock, metal and punk. The only rare genres are comedy and psychedelic. Consider adopting it!

1 Like

I second that! xD I mean, I keep trying to browse dance music, but the closest I can come is “electronic” music, which has all these songs that aren’t dance/house at all D: I thought dance music was a pretty big genre… O:

@Quaeria, @tfguss, @HertzDevil, @DrCav, @Nikonani: thank you for your suggestions regarding genres over the past few months.

Below is a list of the metacritic genres (proposed above). The struck through items are the ones Hooktheory already supported. I’ve added all additional metacritic genres to Hooktheory and also updated the “genres” widget to order alphabetically - I’m embarrassed it didn’t already do that.

For the moment have not deleted any of our previous genres. But later today I will merge songs tagged as k-pop and j-pop into pop, and then remove the k-pop and j-pop genres, as suggested here Can "Folk" be added as a genre please? (unless there are huge objections). If anyone else has “genre merge” requests, please let me know.

I believe the addition of the metacritic genres has addressed most of your previous requests. If not, I’m open to suggestions.

Metacritic genres http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/genre/date/pop. Strikethrough items were supported by Hooktheory prior to 2015-02-04

alt-country
alternative
blues
comedy
country
dance
electronic
experimental
folk
house
indie
jazz
latin
metal
pop
psychedelic
punk
rap
r&b
reggae
rock
singer-songwriter
soul
soundtrack
techno
vocal
world

1 Like

Wonderful! Only further suggestion I have is to remove “comedy” and “psychedelic” taken from the Metacritic list, as those two genres don’t even have a lot of songs in Metacritic’s own database. Thanks!

@Quaeria, done! Thanks again for the feedback / suggestions.

2 Likes

@chris I would combine “J & K Pop” as “Pop” is so large.
You have put two listings for “Worship” so you might like to delete one.