Support for tritone substitutions?

Tritone substitution is a super common chord substitution used in lots of music. It would be great to be able to easily input these, without doing any weird tricks with borrowed chords, because that’s not what tritone substitution is.

I’ve made a very quick mockup of how it could be implemented. When you select secondary dominant, you get the option to make it a tritone substitution. (subV/V for example).

Quick mockup

10 Likes

@sylrs great idea. Agree that this would be a cool/useful feature, let me think about it a bit and see what it would take

6 Likes

Hey this would be a great feature. Thanks!

2 Likes

I think we’ve landed on is a variant of @sylrs’s suggestion by adding a bII/x option in the secondary chord selection (where 7th chords would be dominant by default). This effectively allows for a tritone substitution on any chord where an applied dominant is allowed, and should be a relatively straightforward addition…

2 Likes

Will it replace all instances of ii/ or is it distinct from that? Some tabs, and I believe one of the books, still refer to the now inaccessible viiø7/ applied chord. I don’t think we should do the same here.

No this will be a special case. And yeah we need to fix the viiø7/ x examples.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Good solution too, I think. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Please please please… we need this so much…

1 Like

Sounds like a great solution for a sorely needed feature. Any news on when this might happen?

Bumping this…definitely need this feature

Thank you for reminding us again. Substitutions are already in development and will be published soon.

2 Likes

Hi all, we’ve released the first version of tritone substitutions in v2.30.2 as a new option for any secondary dominant chord. Thanks for your patience on this.

We ultimately decided that allowing this as an option to “embellish” a secondary dominant is most consistent with the spirit of a tritone substitution. We originally intended for this option to also work on a vanilla V7 dominant chord but it was causing some nasty crashes, so for now, please use the applied chord V/I to enable this particular case.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this was @sylrs’s original suggestion for implementation, didn’t mean to take credit for this choice!

5 Likes