Odd Meters in Hookpad

I’ve been enjoying hookpad and the way it allows me to think about chord functions without getting bogged down in details in the early planning stages of a song.

I appreciate the existence of some odd meters but are there plans to add more? In particular I wanted to use septuple meter for a new song and my progress was halted when I realized I couldn’t set the meter to 7. I don’t really want to “change meter” between 3 and 4 every single bar to accomplish that.

On the same topic, it would be nice if we could shift the playback of odd meters around. For example Hookpad currently has quintuple (5) meter and I believe the playback always groups it as (3+2). I was writing a song that switched between (3+2) and (2+3) at different times, and I wound up setting the playback band to just sustain through the whole bar because of this issue. Is there already a way to do this that I don’t know about?

1 Like

Hi and thank you for your thoughts.

Adding new meters is hard work in Hookpad as we needed to create lots of new patterns for every meter we add. The best solution we came up with is to allow compound meters which can just use the patterns which are already there. This is already in our minds, but we didn’t get develop this feature yet.

Right now the only way to achieve compound meters is by changing the meter by hand for every bar. There is a bit of a hack to get this done faster for a whole song. You can do four bars by hand, then create a section with the same length and copy the section again and again in the section menu. This will copy all your meter changes, too and at the end you can remove the section flags (not the sections themselves) again. This is not great, but faster than doing everything by hand.

Please let me know if this helped.
Dennis

2 Likes

What about quintuplets?

I’m sorry, but there is no plan to add quintuplets in the nearer future. I think our piano roll is just a bit too small to properly distinguish between 16th notes, quintuplets and triplets. On the other hand quintuplets are such a rare thing that we should use our limited developing time to create something more useful. And they can always be faked over with two eighths and three triplets.
Regards!
Dennis

I now understand. On the other hand, do you know how people make these 32nd notes in theorytab? Was it a removed feature?

I appreciate your response. Although it may be disappointing, I do understand.
Your compound meter idea seems like a great one to implement so I hope that does make it into the app eventually.

In the meantime I suppose I will try and use the workaround you suggested.
Thank you

i think the 32nd notes are imported melodies as i have found no way to reproduce any of the techniques people have posted.

Hello again,
Could you explain how to remove the section flags (without removing the sections)? I haven’t been able to figure it out.
Thanks

No problem. There are two way to remove sections:

1. You click on the section and press the delete key in this menu:

This will delete the whole section with all the bars and the music which is in the section.
  2. You click on the section flag itself:
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 09.35.00
    This will only delete the flag, but will keep the bars and the music intact.

As deleting a section flag will merge the current section with the section before, you can’t delete the first flag at the start of the song if there are still any other section flags in the song. So delete all other flags first and then the first one.

Please let me know if this helped!
Dennis

1 Like