Keyboard shortcuts for faster navigation

Some suggestions:

• Home / End: Moves the cursor to the beginning or end of the current line. Especially useful for selecting entire lines of notes or chords.
  • Ctrl + Home / End: Moves the cursor to the beginning or end of the entire tab, similar to many text editors.
  • Alt + Left / Right: In table entry mode only, when nothing is selected, move the cursor exactly 1/4 beat backward or forward, ignoring existing notes. The default behaviour is to snap the cursor to the nearest note or measure, which is not very helpful for large meters like 12/4.
  • Shift + Alt + Left / Right: In table entry mode only, when nothing is selected, move the cursor to the previous or next beat, also ignoring existing notes. This actually matches the behaviour of moving selected notes / chords (which permits both Ctrl and Alt).
  • Alt + 1 / 2 / 3 / 4: Change the active melody voice. This is to avoid conflicts with browsers that use the Ctrl versions to switch to the first few browser tabs.

By the way, the Keyboard Shortcuts page still shows the shortcuts from HP1.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the home and end ideas are straightforward, as well as allowing alt + 1-4 for voices. We need to do some thinking about moving the cursor backward and forward without notes being there, as currently we only allow valid cursor positions to be at measure lines, or before or after notes.

1 Like

PLEASE add Home and End to get back to the start of the song.
I hate reaching for the mouse to play from the start.

2 Likes

I am not going the plus one or plus one thousand route, but as a user of many music creation and production softwares and new to Hookpad, I am unpleasantly surprised at how primitive keyboard navigation is as compared with most existing software and with the stellar implementation of the majority of Hookpad features.

This thread is nearly a year old and I don’t see these excellent suggested features in the Keyboard shortcut document … after looking there thinking I must just not know how to access them.

I sure hope they are forthcoming.