Hookpad chord search documentation

Chord search is a new chord palette in Hookpad that allows you to search for a specific chord in Hookpad.

16%20AM

Read below for instructions on how to enter chords.

Search by chord name

Search for a chord using its (case-insensitive) letter name:
C Dm G Bbm F#dim D+

Common slash chords are also supported:
C/G D/F# G7/F

Search for “adds” and suspensions:
Gsus4 Csus2 Fmadd9

When a chord cannot be found, an enharmonic substitute will be used instead if it is available
Fbm (gives: em)

Search by relative chord name

Chord search also supports chord relative names. This can be a handy shortcut to using the chord options UI. Note that Roman numerals are case sensitive

I vi IV9 I64 iiadd9

When chords are not found in the current scale, Hookpad will pick a borrowed scale that is closest to the current scale:

v7 (borrows from Mixolydian)

In relative chord names, prefix with b or # to alter the root scale degree by a half step
bVI (borrows from Minor)
#ivo (borrows from Lydian)

To explicitly specify a borrowed scale, append or prepend the scale or its abbreviation:

i7dor (i7 borrowed from Dorian)

Search by relative chord name using numerical root

Numerical roots are also supported, and represent the chord root in the given scale unless a borrowed scale is explicitly specified.

1 26 37 142 min4 lyd47

Entering chords

Pressing enter will add the first result to your project and select the input text so that you can immediately enter a new chord. You can also click on the chord graphic to get the same behavior

Key suggestions

If Hookpad detects that you are entering in several chords that are better suited to a different key, it will pop up a dialogue that asks you if you’d like to switch your key to one that better accommodates your chords. Clicking “fix” will change your key and respell all of your chords in the new key.

4 Likes