Error when opening lyrics

Are you seriously updating the app in the middle of the day??!! I’m in a desperate dash to finish a song that I’m scheduled to perform tonight. I made a bunch of changes, and I clicked to change the lyrics. You obviously made some kind of update, because now there are separated lines of lyrics with numbers. But it also bumps down the screen, so I couldn’t reach the save button, and there’s no way to scroll up. I lost all of my edits. Now I might not be ready for my performance. That is why software developers release updates in the middle of the night and check for bugs when they are not going to screw up their users’ work. Please don’t do this again.

1 Like

Please roll back the update, test it, and then release it when it’s not bugging. I can’t add lyrics. It removes the save button on Firefox.

Hey Robbie, I’m sorry for your troubles.

What exactly do you mean by “it removes the save button”? Could you please provide a screenshot?

In general the best browser to use Hookpad with is Chrome. So if you are in a hurry to finish your project, please check if you got the same problems on Chrome, too. If not perhaps you can use Chrome until we find a fix for your problems with Firefox.

Regards!

Dennis

This is happening to me too-- toggling the Lyrics sidebar off and on will make the entire navbar scroll off the top of the browser, like so.

It doesn’t happen with a blank song, but if I open any song with lyrics that’s longer than 1 screen’s worth of measures, it happens. (I was able to reproduce it with the demo song Giant’s Dance.) I’m using Vivaldi, which is Chromium-based, and it happens on Edge too.

I hope this gets prioritized, as it makes the software unusable for me too!

Copy/pasting into the Lyrics sidebar will trigger this, too.

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll start fixing it right away.

i have similar experiences with the lyric window, how it drags down the window and i cant access the tool bars above.

BUT i see what hookpad did for the lyric window, and thank you. when its up and running it will be another amazing feature. im a big fan of the service. i use it all the time and it sent my songwriting into hyperdrive. ill never write music without it.
screenshot of the “bug” when i activate the lyric window.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. I have already found a solution for this problem. It should be pushed soon.

The problem is still there with Firefox. I just lost a bunch of work again. I thought it was fixed.

And now, when I open the song in Chrome, it is only showing the first three syllables of the lyrics.

And now, the same thing is happening in Chrome. I can’t change the lyrics without losing everything. Exactly like the screen shot from BaconTomato above shows. The save button disappears. The play button disappears. The YouTube stuff on the bottom just appears out of nowhere. I did not click on anything related to the YouTube functionality. I’m suspecting BaconTomatoe didn’t, either.

I’m sorry. I can’t replicate the lost save buttons anymore. Are you using the latest version of Hookpad? (2.28.4)

However I was able to fix the lost words in your song “Becky”. The problem was that some of your words like don’t etc. had curly apostrophes which confused the algorithm which puts the lyrics onto the melody.
A fix will be pushed with the next version of Hookpad. Until then you can just swap the curly apostrophes with straight ones and everything should be back to normal.

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnddddddd… It has happened again. This time, after spending a full hour completely revamping my song. The menu with the save button has completely vanished. No way to save all of that work. And I need to turn my computer off. So I will lose all of it. Again. I made soooooooo many changes. And I have no way to preserve them. I went to Firefox, and tried to download an auto-save.

Guess what? I’ve been using hookpad for about 6 hours today. The last autosave was last night. So I’m screwed.

I don’t understand why this has to keep happening.

I can’t export it. I can’t save it. I guess I’ll just take a bunch of screen shots and try to re-build it later. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I’m sorry for that and I understand your frustration.

But you should be able to save your work by just pressing “S” when the lyrics editor is not in focus. I’m working hard to debug this moving website thing, but in the meantime, whenever it happens, click on the melody to unfocus the lyrics editor and then press “S” to save your song.

You can also try a work-around which should bring Hookpad back to its normal position:

• Click on the melody to unfocus the lyrics editor
  • Press “S” to save your project
  • Press “O” to open another song
  • Click on “Continue”
  • Now the “Open Song” window should appear and push the site back to its normal position and the navbar should reappear
  • Click “Cancel” to get back to the song you were working on

I also would recommend to keep pressing “S” every minute or so to save your song in short intervals so you won’t loose a big chunk of work when something goes wrong.

maybe a slight variation to your workflow could help as well. i use an editor called “notepad++” (and if you’re a mac user there are similar text editors) and use that for my lyrics (as well as other notes about the song), and copy and paste from there into the lyrics sections rather than trying to use the lyrics box as a placeholder. imho keeps things cleaner.

the “s” for save (or other apps using ctrl+s) as an automatic reflex when pausing or just as habit :slight_smile: is excellent advice. regardless of application or tools.

i create the lyrics as intended, then a copy (or several depending on # of targets) into another part of the same text file which has the requisite markup for the target application (in my case, hookpad, musescore, synth v, vocaliod6, etc) – so syllable markers, extensions, spaces, etc etc. this way my content is mainly simply a copy & paste.

i may tweak once into the app but i always try to reflect those back into my text file once i’m done (like copy & paste back into the part of the document, or simply edit if small changes). this approach has saved me countless hours when i need to redo parts and don’t want to try and copy etc from the app itself or want to do the (e.g.) vocals in my synth v or vocaloid, or [re]create the sheet music in musescore w/ lyrics.

I found a fix for the bug, an updated fixed version will be published soon.