Copy/ paste ? how does it work

Hello musiclovers,

I’m new to Hooktheory and can’t find a way to copy/paste (sections of a) song . I know the shortcuts but they don’t seem to work for this particular option.
Doea anyone knows how it works ?

Thanks

Moos

Hi @Moos
Can you clarify what you mean by “copy/paste (sections of a) song”? do you mean copy and paste between two open TheoryTabs? This isn’t currently supported, but it is something we’d like to do. Let me know if that’s not what you meant.

-Dave

Hi Dave,
At the moment I have 1 verse in a song and want to multiply the melody of this verse. So I want to copy this melody and paste it within the song for the number of verses I want to have .

I have read the manual and know the letters for the shortcuts but sofar I cannot copy a part of my melody. When I press “a” the melody lights up but I cant see to copy it. What an I doing wrong ?

This is all within 1 song, I dont want to copy it ro another song/hookpad project.

Thanks

Moos

1 Like

This is exactly my problem as well. You wrote this complaint in 2014. It is now 2022 and evidently the problem has yet to be solved. Anyone? How does one copy & paste a melody pattern within the same song to repeat a verse?

So usually you select everything you want to copy and press “C” to copy. Then you click on the bar you want to insert the copied material. Now the transport cursor should be blinking at that position. After that press “V” to paste everything.

Please let me know if that worked.

1 Like

I am having the same problem: I select a verse (8 measures), press “c” (or cmd+c in mac), click on another bar (making sure the transport cursor is blinking at that position), and press “v” (or cmd+v). The copied verse is pasted but it overwrites the equivalent number of measures ahead of the insertion point (“supr” behavior instead of “insert” behavior). Please let us know how to insert a copied set of measures WITHOUT DELETING ANYTHING :pray: If that is not posible, we strongly suggest to implement it asap, since that is such a useful feature for songwriting… ¡THANK YOU!

ups! …now it is working fine, I guess I was doing something wrong, sorry :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

for Windows users:

• “c” or “ctrl-c” equals copy
  • “v” equals “overwrite” (meaning any existing content is overwritten)
  • “ctrl-v” equals “insert” (meaning it shifts existing content to the right)

note that the “section” copy & paste only use “c” and “v”, to insert sections you need to place the transport cursor between sections in the sections view.