Can i write melodies for more than one instrument?

Hi, I like to write orchestral music and I’m really enjoying coming up with quick sketches in hooktheory but is there a way to create multiple melodies? For example. I can only create one melody for say a violin but what if I wanted to make one for a brass instrument and one for woodwinds as well? Is there a way to do this within hooktheory?

Thanks

when you are in the note editing section - you can have up to 4 voices. each independent in terms of instrument (and now in the new version exported as stems!!!)

1 Like

Thats awesome! Thank you!

I also use the harmony instruments. I export as MIDI files and then import that into MuseScore and separate the harmony tracks into individual instruments. The violin and cello sections do a pretty good job covering the strings. There are some extras that you can move to other instruments as well.

2 Likes

Interesting, thank you.

also if my melody tracks aren’t full i’ll add single notes of the root on each chord so i have that to drive other instruments which have patterns (guitar VI, scaler, etc) and only need the root note (and if i have more i’ll create the third as minor if needed etc when i know i’ll be driving a guitar VI with it for example).

1 Like

Ohh thats a great idea! So scaler only needs the root note to make chords?

depends on the scale but in essence. i main use it to drive guitar VI and may tweak it once in the DAW