Can I use midi input to play chords in Melody section?

I’ve just connected my keyboard, but if I’m in the Melody section, I can not play chords, or I should say, it doesn’t display the notes as chords?

I know I normally have to set up another voice, but if I’m using midi and the keyboard, this doesn’t work?

If I’m in the chord section, it recognises the note and uses that… so I can’t play naturally… if that makes sense!?

Is there a solution to this please?

@dickymac, this is expected behavior. When the cursor is in the melody area of Hookpad, playing notes on a MIDI controller adds melody notes. Hookpad will automatically figure out what scale degree to add to your song based on the key you are currently in. If you are in the key of C major and play a C, it will enter scale degree 1 (Do); play a D, and it will enter scale degree 2 (Re); play an E, and it will enter scale degree 3 (Mi)

When the cursor is in the chords area of Hookpad, playing notes on the MIDI controller adds the chord whose bass note is the note you play on the piano. So if you are in the key of C major and play a D on the MIDI controller, a ii (dm) chord will be inserted. Likewise, if you play G on the MIDI controller, a V (G) chord will be inserted.

Hi Chris and thanks for your reply!

However, I think you’ve just basically repeated my question!?

So am I right in assuming that I can only create a single note melody and I just need to play the root note of the chord?

Many thanks

Yes you are correct.