- All examples use inline Hookpad player rather than videos. This enables several benefits:
- Improved audio
- Improved resolution
- Click on chords to hear them
- Hover over chords to see their scale degrees in the melody staff
- Use the native key selector to instantiate some examples in different keys
Under The Hood
- Authentication and authorization are built-in instead of using on the auth layer of www.hooktheory.com
- Now has its own subdomain https://book-one.hooktheory.com
- Refactor from Ionic 1.x to Ionic 5.5.2
- Refactor from Angular 1.x to React 16.14
- Added melody to examples in section 5.2 and 5.3.
- Improved discussion of measures and meter in section 3.2.
- Fixed a few typos and did some minor copy edits.
- Now saves font size across reading sessions.
- Fixed Katy Perry example in 4.1.
- Now includes information about Hooktheory II, the sequel to this book, released Oct 11, 2016.
- Substantial copy editing
- New “Check For Understanding” section at the end of chapter 1 with several exercises to reinforce the connection between Roman numerals, i.e., I, ii, iii, and in-key chord names, i.e., C, dm, em.
- No longer crashes on devices with low available memory
- Updated for iOS9.
- Added information about Hooktheory II.
- Fixed a minor navigation bug.
- The app now remembers the last viewed section and opens it on restart.
- On iOS, videos are now compatible with older Apple hardware (iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs, and iPhone 4). iPhone 4s and newer have always been supported.
[The iOS update is still in review. It should be available in the App Store by 7/18/14]
- Fixed a typo in exercise 2.5 and updated three videos