Where is the viio7 chord?

@HertzDevil, I’m not behind the creation Hooktheory in any way, just a contributor to the forums that saw this question lingering and decided to answer based on my understanding.

To clarify for others, the melodic minor does not provide a fully diminished chord, it is available in the 7th mode of the harmonic minor. The melodic minor does contain augmented triads and the maj/min chord which are also unavailable in Hookpad.

Regarding extended borrowing, I’m not sure why you think it would limit users to 7 pitches. Correct me if I’m wrong, but using supermodes, the non-diatonic borrow function in Hookpad provides access to 84 distinct chords. (7 chords x 12 keys).

If implemented the way I envision, the user could select ‘Harmonic Minor’ and have access to 84 additional chords, including the 12 missing diminished 7ths. But why stop there, ‘Melodic Minor’, ‘Harmonic Major’. Hookpad doesn’t support 9,11,13 extensions, but if it did, these would all be distinct chords.

Personally, I would prefer to see Hookpad be as chord complete as possible (including upper extensions). Admitedly the above is a mathmatical approach, so likely not to everyone’s taste.

Ultimately, I believe we’re rehashing this discussion:

@HertzDevil has outlined two approaches for implementing augmented chords:

1. The addition of a harmonic minor scale and its modes.
  2. An “aug” embellishment

and I’m advocating approach #1.

If you could eloborate on the more educational approach to fully diminished seventh chords, I’d be interested. Thanks.