Blur checkboxes and dropdown menus as soon as they are selected

Currently after the user clicks on a checkbox (including switch button) or a dropdown menu, the widget grabs the keyboard focus:

Screenshot_20200630_201523 Screenshot_20200630_201537

This means keyboard commands like the arrow keys or the Space key will trigger both Hookpad’s own actions (change note / chord degree, play) and the default actions on those widgets (select previous / next item, toggle button). This is very inconvenient when using the keyboard to edit projects.

The editor should remove the focus on these elements as soon as they are selected; alternatively, the default keyboard actions on them should be disabled. This mainly affects the chord properties menu, but some other places like the key change menu also use them.

Hey @HertzDevil,

I don’t get the behavior you mention. For example, if I hit up or down or left or right, or space immediately after changing the borrowed dropdown, it doesn’t change the value of the dropdown for me; it has the intended consequence of changing the root of the selected chord

Tested in Chrome 83 and Safari 13.1.1

That said, our next release will blur the borrow dropdown on change and I’ll make a point to go through other ones.

What browser are you using?

@chris borrow a chord from another mode and press P and it will make the chord borrow from Phrygian/Phrygian Dominant and at the same time play the YouTube video (I’m using chrome on Windows 10)

Thank you, @Vaz! I totally didn’t think to try that.

@chris still not fixed as of 2.15.4

Thank you for reporting, @HertzDevil and for the explicit instructions for the borrowed dropdown, @Vaz123. I fixed the borrowed dropdown in 2.15.6 are there any others that cause friction?

On Firefox only, the checkboxes and buttons aren’t actually blurred (e.g. switching to a 9th chord then playing with the Space button will switch it back to a triad). List boxes are blurred.

@chris in the key change menu it can still happen

Thank you, @Vaz123. Fixed the key change menu in 2.15.7. @HertzDevil, I still need to work on Firefox stuff you mentioned.

@chris if you select an existing key change then change the tonic or scale then pressing a letter can change the value

@Vaz123, roger that. I’m removing the solution so it stays on my to-dos. Will fix in upcoming release.

EDIT: Fixed in 2.15.8

@chris if you click on the same value instead of a different one then you can still use the keyboard to change the value

e.g. let’s say you’re borrowing a chord. If the current value for ‘Borrow From’ is ‘N/A’ then clicking ‘N/A’ again will grab the keyboard focus. From there you can press a key and change the value (e.g. you can press P and change the value to Phrygian and also play the YouTube video)